Amen. Let's Eat!
Monday, May 21, 2007 Orzo A La Melanie

I made this last night and it was tasty! I made a few changes to this recipe that I'll note at the end.

1 cup orzo pasta
2 teaspoons
salt
1 tablespoon
olive oil
1
red bell pepper, seeded,cored and diced
1
carrot, cut into thin strips
4
green onions, cleaned and chopped
1 tablespoon minced
garlic
1 yellow squash, diced
1
zucchini, diced
1
tomato, diced
1/2 cup
tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons light cream
1/2 cup grated
parmesan cheese
salt
freshly ground
black pepper

Cook orzo with salt according to packet instructions.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Saute red pepper and carrot on a low heat for 10 minutes until softened. Increase heat to medium and add green onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the squash, zucchini and tomatoe and cook for a couple of minutes more. Add the tomatoe sauce and stock. When the sauce comes to a simmer, turn heat to low and stir.

Stir in the drained orzo. Stir in the cream. Stir in parmesan cheese. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Can be served immediately, or at room temperature.

*** I didn't have yellow squash so I added eggplant instead. So good. I also added a 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. basil and 1-2 tsp. of crushed chilis to give it a fiery kick. I was out of green onions so I used a regular yellow onion, about 1/2 c. finely chopped. ***

* Melanie Singh, www.recipezaar.com

Posted by Jen :: 11:02 AM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------