Amen. Let's Eat!
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 Creamy Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese


A delicious soup. I made it differently than the recipe suggested so see my notes at the end of the recipe.


4 tbsp. olive oil

2 c. broccoli

1 c. heavy cream

1/2 c. diced celery

1/2 c. diced onion

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 quart vegetable stock

2 c. grated cheddar cheese

1/2 tsp. tabasco

1 tsp. fresh lime juice

1/4 c. all purpose flour

S & P


In medium sauce pan add olive oil, celery, onion and garlic. Cook 5-8 minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and whisk flour to break up clumps. Cook for 1/2 hour to thicken. Add broccoli, cream, lime and tabasco. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not let boil. Add cheese and S&P to taste.


NOTE: I made it a bit different, thanks to a suggestion from my mom. I sauteed the celery, onion and garlic in the olive oil. Then I added the stock, broccoli and ONE DICED POTATO. I let this simmer until the potatoes and broccoli were cooked. I then put everything in my food processor and blended it. I returned it to the pot and added the cream, lime, tabasco and S&P. Heated just until warmed. So good! Loved it with the tiny bits of potato. Good idea, Ma!


* from Renee D at recipezaar.com

Posted by Jen :: 5:50 PM :: 0 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------